Home header left

Region 1 Contest

Day 2 Contest Report

Daily Report June 21, 2008 --- Errol Drew

With the low pressure to the north finally moving out to the west, the soaring prospects improved dramatically and the weatherman confidently predicted we would have a soaring day. This was further endorsed by what could be seen; blue sky with abundant Cu's forming.

With conditions improving and the best lift forecast for around 3pm in the afternoon, the CD delayed launching to allow the conditions to develop more, calling a task that would send the fleet to Post Mills and then on to Springfield with 10 and 20 miles radii respectively. Middlesex to the North with a 10 radius was the third turnpoint.

The Middlesex turnpoint was irrelevant for this task. No sooner had the grid all launched when evidence of overdevelopment up wind to the west of the start cylinder forced many pilots to climb in weak lift, if at all in order to survive. With isolated pockets of good lift under the clouds, those able to get high called a start, heading towards what appeared to be better conditions on course. It was not until the Post Mills area that good climbs of up to 5 kts were to be found quite easily.
Heading south towards Springfield there was again evidence of overdevelopment covering a large area necessitating broad course deviations in order to find lift. Fortunately thanks to one pilot asking about Lebanon airspace at the briefing, the CD had advised on proper procedure and that the controllers were known to be helpful.

This indeed proved the case, with several gliders talking to the tower and at least two landing there. Once again, nearly every glider at some point had another wash in flight as isolated showers were common along the course. The overdevelopment broadened to such an extent that it became certain that completing the task was impossible. With every single glider on course landing out, the retrieve desk proved to be the stars of the day, managing a burden of too many gliders and not enough crew. Fortunately, no glider was damaged with everyone eventually making it home. One pilot successfully managed to land at the second turnpoint, Springfield which happened to be his home airport where he promptly pushed his glider into his hanger and then flew back to Sugarbush in his twin-engine Cessna, taking with him another pilot who also landed there while he was taxiing out. Although not intended, this might be the first time ever that a pilot has flown his glider home on the last contest day as part of the contest, and getting the Airport Bonus (AB) points. Fortunately he even managed to find someone to deliver his car and trailer the next day.

Even if the weather has not cooperated with our sport, everyone reported having a good time, besides seeing old friends and making new ones with reassurances they will be back next year when the weather can only be better.

Scoring was delayed due to difficulty recovering flight logs from all the pilots who landed out.
The last applicable flight log was received via email