- About Soaring
- The SSA
- About The SSA
- Join the SSA
- Soaring Magazine
- About the Convention
- SSA Partners
- Member Resources
- Soaring Safety
- Flight Training Programs
- FIRC Information
- Flight Training Videos
- Pilot Resources
- On-Line Learning
- Wing Runner Course
- Bronze Badge Study Guide
- Winch Operator (NA)
- Tow Pilot Course
- External Resources
- Flight Safety Programs
- Outreach Activities
- Flight Safety Videos
- SSF Posters
- About SSF
- Visit SSF Website
- Flight Training Programs
- Sailplane Racing
- About Contests
- Racing Calendar
- Results & Reports
- Online Registration
- Contest Rules & Process
- Other Resources
- Online Contest 'OLC'
- US Teams
- Soaring Achievement
- Info & Resources
- SSA Badge Achievement
- US & State Record Achievement
- World Record Achievement
- Soaring Award Achievement
- Contact Us
SSA Executive Director - Position Description
Job Title: Executive Director
The Soaring Society of America (SSA) is a nonprofit membership association which serves the soaring community in the United States. The purpose of the SSA is to preserve and enhance the sport of Soaring in the US through activities that promote and grow the sport, promote safety, and protect our right to fly gliders by representing the collective interests of the members before governing bodies, aviation entities, and the public at large.
The SSA is seeking a management professional with a proven track record to oversee daily operations at the SSA headquarters in Hobbs, NM, work with the Board of Directors to create and execute a strategic plan that will expand the vision and goals of the SSA, and actively interact with government and aviation entities to insure that we maintain the rights and privileges that we now enjoy and positively influence the future.
The ideal candidate will have a successful track record in managing nonprofit organizations. Desirable experience includes fund raising, experience in working with and knowledge of government agencies at the state and national level, promotional program design and execution and aviation. Other important qualities are excellent communication and leadership skills, and a passion for aviation.
The Executive Director is responsible for advising, recommending and working in concert with the SSA Board of Directors to formulate strategy and key programs for the SSA, and to implement that strategy in partnership with the SSA staff and volunteer organization. The Executive Director is also responsible for the operational management of the organization. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Advocacy - represent the SSA to all organizations and governmental agencies whose actions might affect our membership; coordinate with any organization in which we might have a common interest in protecting, preserving, and expanding recreational flying opportunities.
- Development - assist in the design and execution of fund raising campaigns to ensure that the organization has adequate funds to conduct programs and fulfill its obligation to the membership.
- Promotion - assist in the design and development of promotional campaigns designed to grow the membership and the sport of Soaring.
- Coordination - Translates organizational strategic and tactical plans into performance measures and monitors the status of those measures by working with and supervising the staff and volunteers.
- Board Interface - Works in partnership with the Board of Directors to ensure that all programs and activities of the organization are consistent with the goals and mission of the organization. Serves as primary liaison between the Board of Directors and staff.
- Strategic Planning - Works in partnership with the board and key volunteers in defining the organizations overall goals and strategies; provides the organization with vision, inspiration, direction, and a clear sense of mission and values.
- Operations - Assumes overall responsibility for the administrative, fiscal and programmatic health and effectiveness of the organization including staff recruitment, supervision, and development.
Minimum five years management experience
Experience in association management
Experience in dealing with government agencies and personnel
Proven ability to produce results through fundraising programs
Proven ability to produce results through promotional and public relations programs
Proven ability to manage and lead volunteer and staff projects
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Working knowledge of association budgeting and financing
Aviation experience, preferably Soaring or Sport Aviation
Reports to: SSA Board of Directors
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Location: Hobbs, NM
Submit resume and cover letter to SSA Search Committee:
E-mail - SSASearch@sbcglobal.net
Fax - 510-745-8083
Post - SSA headquarters, P.O. Box 2100, Hobbs, NM 88241-2100
Posted: 4/10/2003 By: General News
The SSA policy on member posting is located here